30 May 2011

Experimenting with Gardens and Croissants







This is my first Spring in this location, bringing with it many new outdoor delights. Little flowers whose names I do not know, along with daffodils and lilies of the valley, poked up no thanks to me through the carpet of unraked oak leaves, whispering that winter was only a dream. I cleared a little plot close to the house, the "upper plot," and renewed the soil, planting lettuces, spinach and chard, and hoping against hope I will not merely end up feeding the rabbits in the area. We'll see. And I got a whole big tray of pansies for $5 at the farmer's market. These are modest actions indeed in this neighborhood graced by some of the most spectacular gardens I've ever seen, but they bring me joy nonetheless. I thought for a moment I'd turned into my mother as I was digging to the bottom of the compost box, feeling its heat and strewing the beautiful soil at the bottom on the "lower plot." Yup, as the t-shirt of one of my Edmonton friends proclaims "I compost, therefore I am." Pictures of that experiment (if anything comes up) to follow.

Recent indoor culinary experiments represent something old and something new: Swedish Butter Strips and Croissants, little tiny ones not the big sandwich makers The Lost Norwegian said I should make. I made them for coffee hour yesterday and brought none home. Given it's supposed to hit 92 today, I do not think I shall be turning the oven on! On the other hand I could sit down by my two little garden plots and probably listen to things growing.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Thanks for posting a picture of the upper plot! I'm so glad you have the opportunity to garden this summer, and I look forward to swapping more garden stories all summer long. We're running in the 90s for several days this week in Zone 7 Virginia and I'm just waiting for the lettuce to bolt!

Elizabeth said...

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your gardening endeavers. For me, gardening over the last year has been a way to connect with my dad. Makes me feel close to him when I miss him fiercy, or makes me remember his smell when I'm out in the dirt. Figured out how to run the rototiller all by myself and am seeing small green things (spinach, cucumbers, chives, peas, beans, onions, lettuce & squash) pop up all over. Wish I could see you garden, and share mine, in person. Holding you in my heart dear friend.