Today, in celebration of surviving the past month (no mean feat, I assure you), and in celebration of the most beautiful day in the Quad Cities, and in celebration of mothers everywhere, my own included, I made Kylling i Win Saus, or Chicken in Wine Sauce. Here I suspect the author departed from strictly Norwegian traditions and borrowed from the Mediterranean, but the result was very delicious. I used 4 chicken breasts with backs attached, browned them seasoned with salt and pepper, simmered them in white wine and chicken broth for 40 minutes, added green olives and browned mushrooms and 2 tsp of lemon juice for the last ten minutes. Served over rice with a side spinach salad. Wish I could have served my own mum and any number of you friends who are mothers.
It reminded me a bit of a dish my friend Darby made for me once called Chicken Marbella. Darby used green olives that were stuffed with not pimento, not almonds, not feta, not garlic (which is what I used) but green olives stuffed with orange peel! Oh my salivating taste buds! I have never been able to find them since, and they were so so delicious. I still check the olives at every new grocery store I shop at.
2 comments:
What a great way to celebrate all you've accomplished and endured this spring!
Lovely celebration meal, Michelle! Surviving the last month is certainly worth a delicious feast, and this surpasses any qualifications.
Post a Comment