22 June 2011

Something old, something new






Last night my youngest brother came through town on his way to get married and take up a new life in KY with his bride. He brought me two chairs which he had been storing for me at his place, chairs of my grandfather's that I had asked to have after he passed away several years ago but had nowhere to store. They are beautiful and someday I will have the money to get them properly refinished. For now, I'm trying to incorporate them organically into the space here. Hmmm...

Our family will convene in Louisville next week for the wedding, including six members from Australia. This is extremely special, not only because we don't see them very often, but these big events heighten the glaring absence of my father, and having his siblings and their spouses present is a small but significant comfort in the face of that ongoing ache. They have not met my niece yet, and as charming as she is, it is likely that not much attention will be paid to the adults. I'm looking forward to the fun of fixing food for the crowd of us renting a house together for the week. I've already noted two mid-week farmer's markets in the area and the times they are operating.

Meanwhile, I hope my garden will take a quantum leap while I'm gone. The leaves of my poor green beans keep getting eaten, I suspect by a woodchuck, so I'm not sure how many beans I'll get. There are tomatoes on the vines, and the basil is clearly happy down there in the sun of the lower plot. I pulled a scallion yesterday and will put it in the eggs for breakfast this morning.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I hope the family time of celebration was delightful even admist the ache of your dad not being there.

Holding you all in my heart.