22 December 2011

Julekake

The last visitation of The Lost Norwegian is a Christmas yeast bread my mother also served on Christmas morning, Julekake, meaning Christmas cake. It has just enough candied fruit and peel to make it pretty and is especially delectable toasted, with butter and a bit of jarlsberg cheese. I can't remember if the recipe I made is my mother's or another one I found, but it has no eggs, which makes it edible by my friend Kathy who is allergic to eggs.



With that I send you fond wishes for a happy holiday. As Alec Baldwin always signs off the New York Philharmonic concert broadcast he hosts, "I wish you good health and good music" ... and a great many other blessings which there is neither time nor space to include. I hope you will find wonderful company around your table, and that you will continue to visit me around mine in the new year, either here or better yet, here! (What a crisis of place we 21st century people embody.) Merry Christmas!

No comments: