22 December 2011

Autumnal Glory

A pretty plate I actually remembered to photograph. I roasted grapes for the first time, drizzled in olive oil and seasoned with thyme, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. A perfect accompaniment to a roasted pork chop and some baked buttercup squash.



Company at my Table has been neglected these last months. Happily, I can report that part of the reason is that I have been dealing with some company at my actual table: company from Washington DC; company from Louisville, KY; company from Minneapolis, MN; company from Iowa City; and company from right here at home. Most of these guests missed the autumnal glory that I enjoy so much in the comparatively long lingering autumns we have here. In Canada, autumn is the briefest season, and you're likely to miss it if you're not paying attention. I don't think I shall ever get tired of the oh so gradual retiring of the magnificent oak and maple trees, nor of their glowing canopy as I fly down my stairs to work in the cool of the day.



No comments: