21 January 2012

New Year of Cooking

Happy New Year! Happy Leap Year! Beware the Ides of March!

How can it already be March? Impossible. This is what happens when you teach a class for the first time. Some things don't happen, and blogging is one of them. The blog would happen I think if it weren't for the picture component. That's what takes the time.

Anyway, I am still cooking and eating and actually contemplating getting a new table, which will be a red-letter event, perhaps emboldening me to invite more people over when I don't have a rickety splickety table that spills the soup! In addition to the inevitable unplanned culinary discoveries along the way in 2012, I have a new cookbook I'll be exploring this year called Quick Cuisine. The author is a Calgary cook, dee Hobsbawn-Smith, whose recipes I have enjoyed in other anthologies for years. As the title implies, her life has produced by necessity, as mine has, a repertoire of meals that are quickly prepared but still tasty and full of goodness. The book begins with appetizer recipes and I don't usually fix appetizers for myself, so I'll have to experiment with those as I have occasions to make appetizers. But the very next section is Soups, and I think I just might have soup running in my veins. At any rate it is the season for soups yet for a good many weeks I hope, and I love it. First up is Tomato-Carrot Basil Soup, which will make a perfect contrast to the other soup I made today for the week, my mum's Clam Chowder that I have made for years.



Also you might be interested in this very simple Bean Bake which I find makes an excellent side with lots of different meals. It is hearty and hits the spot when you're cold and hungry. And in terms of its preparation time is a perfect candidate for a quick meal collection. Mix it together and let the oven do the work while you do other things. I bet it would work well in the slow cooker too, which I would rank as one of the greatest inventions of all time.

2 comments:

orpah said...

Ah, Michelle, I agree with your slow cooker ranking! I'm also glad to read someone else is still enjoying soup this time of year, though I must admit when the weather warms, I have a penchant for anything grilled and garden salads.

orpah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.