19 February 2011

Winter Fare



Meatball soup with lots of vegetables was the lunch of the week. Tasty and easy! And these roasted winter vegetables were not in the book, but they should be. They are super delicious and Norwegian cuisine is laced with root vegetables. Also easy. I include the recipe for those still caught in the throes of winter. Believe it or not, we have no snow left here. Just a swollen Mississippi River and lots of mud.


Winter Roasted Vegetables

Put the following into a plastic bag:
1 medium acorn squash, seeded and cut into wedges (I substituted some sweet potatoes)
1 lb. fingerling potatoes, halved (I used ordinary potatoes)
1 medium onion
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Shake until well coated and dump onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake uncovered at 350º for 40-45 minutes, turning once.

Meanwhile, into the plastic bag goes:
2 pears, cut into wedges
1/4 tsp. minced fresh thyme
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Arrange them on top of the roasted vegetables, and bake another 10-15.
Put them in an ovenproof dish, drizzle with:
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup of blue cheese
Bake 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts.
Sprinkle with 1/4 chopped hazelnuts (I used toasted walnuts)
Serves one 6 times, or serves 6 once.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I'd much prefer the serves 6 option. Enjoying sharing your table from afar. Looking forward to sharing it someday.
Someday.